Friday, March 7, 2008

Knitting

I am so envious of people who can knit. Really knit. I can knit scarves. And it stinks to be destined to a life time of knitting scarves, and scarves only. Or possibly a beanie, which is what I'm trying to do, as per the picture below. But really it's just going to be a short scarf, folded over and stitched up the sides.

I decided I wanted to learn to knit a couple of years ago, and at the time I was working part time as a community nurse in a little country town. Perfect. You see in addition to being offered good stuff like home made scones (made with lemonade - do you know this recipe? I can only remember that it involved flour and lemonade) and endless cups of tea, the old girls were generally fabulous knitters and a couple of them helped to teach me to knit. Just the basics mind you and I have never progressed beyond this. And probably never will because, honestly, I just don't have the time to dedicate to it.

But I would love to be a fabulous knitter, whipping up home knitted little numbers for my kids.

For now I'll just keep plodding along. I have two half finished scarves, both started about two years ago. Might try and get them finished in time for this winter. They're for my sisters.
And I'd like to get this beanie for Ruby finished, regardless of what a disaster it may turn out to be.
I realised when I saw this photo how much I hate those white plastic knitting needles. But even I can't justify buying a new (bamboo) pair, when I already have these perfectly practical ones, just because 'they aren't pretty.'

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful colours. I always forget how to cast on and off. I'm ok with the actual knitting part.